Monday, February 18, 2013

Practice Film Oral






16–20 There is a coherent and detailed analytical evaluative interpretation of the extract, displaying
a good understanding of how meaning is constructed through the use of film language and a
good awareness of the extract’s relationship to the film as a whole. There is a clear
explanation for the selection of the extract. The critique shows a good awareness of the film’s
genre, its place in a broader sociocultural context, and gives a sound analysis of the director’s
intention. There may be brief elements of description but analysis will be thorough.

In my oral I mention a lot information about Alfred Hitchcock but I do not discuss how this connects to my extract or the film in general. In addition I point out themes but do not convey how these themes are actually portrayed in the film or the other films Hitchcock has done. I do discuss the social culture context such as production codes and some of the many aspects of the film that where completely new to the audience at the time, and name many of these  examples. Furthermore I do connect this social culture context to my extract with Arbogast's murder and how much of it was actually censored.  I do mention the director's intention with the original script with having Marion beheaded just as the story of the murderer Ed Gein. I do overall analyze the extract and how it affects the overall plot in the film.However when it comes to analyzing cinematography I do lack major terminology in describing shots. I also needed to connect my extract to the film alot better, the relationship between the extract and the film in general is very important! Much of the time I say "this shot" or "that shot", when I should have specified what type of shot this is. I do need to work on how fluent I am when talking, I stumble alot and constantly say "um" which is very distracting when trying to convey an idea.Lastly I fully explain editing techniques and point out significant shots and how this plays an element to hiding the murder's face. I need to work sounding more natural when I am talking, this is one of the reason my oral was so long, I had many pauses and times where I would have to repeat myself after saying something incorrectly.Overall I am in the 16-20 section of the rubric.      

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work! Your extract is well detailed. You could even condense this a bit. Your background research on Hitchcock is excellent. I like that you were able to touch on the breadth of his work. Good exploration into his thematic threads. Not necessarily the first horror movie, but definitely unique that Hitchcock got the audience to empathize with a psychotic killer. Good references to institutional factors of censorship and I'm glad you were able to relate it back to your extract. Good references to original novel but be wary to relate back to the context of your extract. Discussion of dramatic irony with Arborgast is insightful. Appropriate use of film language in reference to cinematography, lighting, and production design. The high angle shot of Aborgasts attach was well described. The film set the bar for the slasher genre. Well done!

    ReplyDelete